Full Membership Application
The process for applying for ASPA Full Membership
ASPA Full Membership Application
Full Membership Eligibility Criteria
For Full ASPA Membership, the accrediting organization must:
- Demonstrate that it meets ASPA’s definition of Specialized or Professional and the supporting definitions (see list of definitions);
- Endorse the ASPA-Member Code of Good Practice; and
- Submit the application and other required materials with the application fee of $500.00.
If the membership criteria are met and the applicant is accepted into membership by the ASPA Board of Directors, the term of membership will continue as long as the organization is a member in good standing.
Membership is contingent upon payment of current dues.
Dues for July 1, 2016 – June 30, 2017 are $4700 + ($8.00 x number of institutions that sponsor accredited programs, capped at 500 units). Dues will be pro-rated based on the date of approval for membership. (dues memo)
Applications must address each of the following criteria. The application is reviewed by the Membership Committee, which may seek clarifying information from the applicant prior to formalizing a recommendation to the ASPA Board of Directors for review and action.
In a 1-2 page letter signed by the chief executive or chief operating officer of the accrediting agency: a) indicate the desire to become an ASPA member and b) describe how the applicant organization meets ASPA’s definition of specialized or professional and the supporting definitions (see definitions-specialized-professional).
Provide the names and titles of the principal staff and the decision-making body, including: a) the affiliations of council/commission members and b) the frequency of meetings.
Provide evidence of adherence to good accreditation practice by submitting:
- i. A brief narrative statement (maximum of 14 pages) that describes how the organization (see rubric for guidance):
- conducts its accreditation process
- establishes and revises accreditation standards
- makes decisions on accreditation actions
- demonstrates respect for institutional autonomy and academic freedom
- selects and trains reviewers
- promotes assessment and continuous quality improvement of accredited programs
- provides public information about accredited programs
- ii. A copy of the accreditation standards or evaluation criteria.
- iii. A listing of organizations that recognize or require its accreditation activity (i.e. Certification Bodies, Licensing Boards etc.)
Include a completed Membership Application Checklist.
Submit the application:
- i. Mail the application letter and a non-refundable check for $500 to:
ASPA, 3304 North Broadway Street, #214, Chicago IL 60657. (applicants may request electronic payment option by sending an email to email@example.com)
- ii. Email an electronic version of all documents in a single bookmarked PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants will pay dues that are pro-rated based on the date of approval for membership.
Reinstatement of Lapsed Membership
The organization is eligible for this reinstatement option once.
See a full list of accreditors who are members of ASPA and the professions and fields of study for which they set quality standards.
Have a Question?
Send us a quick message using the form below. We’d love to hear from you.